My Major

 My college journey has been far from normal. I started here at Plymouth State as an Elementary Education major. For as long as I can remember I wanted to be a teacher. I was always passionate about becoming an educator and I came here with the intention of fulfilling that dream. As I started my classes and learned more about being a teacher I decided I wanted to take a different path. I wasn't loving my classes and the road I was on. I switched over to Travel and Tourism and took an internship with the Disney College Program. The internship truly changed my life. I learned so much about hospitality, a billion-dollar business, and more about myself. For the first time, I was working full time, living on my own in another state, and making new friends. When I came home again, I felt lost. I decided to stay at home and go to NHTI as a Hospitality Major. Taking some gen-ed credits I was unhappy and missed the Plymouth environment. I transferred back my second semester of sophomore year. After a full summer of working at a wonderful daycare with students and having my own classroom, I felt obligated to return to my old dream. I transferred back as an education major here. I spent the next two years feeling in a rut. I was so back and forth with teaching and slowly losing my drive and passion for the classroom. I tried and tried to change my major but I was told I wouldn't graduate on time. Finally, after what I would consider my hardest semester as a senior, I was exhausted. I was dreading going back to an Elementary internship. I had a wonderful mentor teacher and great students but I could feel in my gut it wasn't for me so I was so unhappy. Over winter break I met with my advisor and he suggested I speak to advisors in IDS. 

                                                                              
                                                                                                 (Photo by Dragos Blaga from Unsplash)

After meeting with Matt I was ecstatic to be able to go back to school after break and take the classes I wanted to take. I took the required IDS courses and some communications courses. We set up my contract with what fit titling me Educational Communications. Communications degrees can go far with interacting with people, customer service, and even social media. Those are things I am passionate about. I learned a lot about communicating with all different types of people through education and I am able to carry those skills with me moving forward. I also was able to practice using my creative side and I was able to continue to practice that this semester. I plan on using my degree to try new things. I want to explore careers until I find what's best for me. Because honestly, I still don't really know. My next steps after graduation are to work this summer as an assistant wedding planner. I then plan to find a full-time job in social media marketing, or customer service. I am grateful IDS was able to help me explore new opportunities that fit best with my future goals. 

Comments